Alanya Guide
alanya rehber alanya guide

alanya 360 degrees virtual tour


In The Castle (kaleici) Alanya

TOPHANE:

It is at the south of the historical Seljuk Shipyard. It was built to protect the shipyard from dangers. There is a water tank for the water needs of the soldiers. Outside the walls there is a huge area at the south. It is used to be an area where villagers enjoyed in springtime. There is a corner next to the arsenal tower. This served the people until 1808. Before he was killed by the jannisaries Kadi Abdurrahman Paşa made the tower restored and put an epigraph.

ESAT BURCU (ESAT TOWER):

This street is named after the place where a holy man was buried whose name is Esat. Esat Dede Yatır is in the area where the amazing walls are. It is a big grave. While he was working with horse car between the years 1257-1266, he was killed and buried there. The bastion was built by this person.

 

THE DOWN GATE (GATE OF THE DISTRICT):

According to the epigraph it was built in year 1226. This gate is still used today by the residents of the Tophane district. The entry to this gate is zigzagged like all the gates found in the fortress. But there are two gates where cars are passing through. One of them is the Down Gate and the other is the main gate that opens to the fortress. Tunnels have been digged next to these two gates without ruining the historical features.

FORTRESS GATES

: In the old times the villagers who were living outside or inside of the city walls were surely entering or exiting from certain gates. There were four gates to pass inside or outside the walls, which are 6500 m long. Now let's have a look at these gates.

THE MEYİT GATE:

This gate was built at the same time as Kizilkule (1226). The meyit gate is where the narrow steep path to the south of Kizilkule leads up to the fortress walls. It is also east of the historical Andızlı Mosque. It is named "meyit" because the deceased were carried to the graveyards near the seaside through this gate. Note: as it was hard to transport the deceased and to dig graves at that time, the seaside was the closest and most suitable place for this. THE DOWN GATE (GATE OF THE DISTRICT):According to the epigraph it was built in year 1226. This gate is still used today by the residents of the Tophane district. The entry to this gate is zigzagged like all the gates found in the fortress. But there are two gates where cars are passing through. One of them is the Down Gate and the other is the main gate that opens to the fortress. Tunnels have been digged next to these two gates without ruining the historical features.

THE FORTRESS GATE:

According to the epigraph it was built in year 1231. It has many names. 1- Grand Gate, 2- Upper Gate, 3- Old Bazaar Gate, 4- Fortress Gate. It is the grandest gate among the gates found in the fortress and in the near surroundings. Alaaddin Keykubat directed the reconstruction and the gates are the best examples of this movement. To the west of the gate there is a tunnel and there are little squares painted in red on these walls. Noteworthy is that these painted squares have not faded until this day. After entering the gate there is a passage which leads to the inside of the wall. There is a plane tree and one of the largest water tanks. This 300-400m2 area is surrounded by 60-70 cm high walls. This closed area fills the large water tank. With the first rain, the water was led out of the walls and in the same time cleaning the closed area. Then the water was led directly to the water tank. This was made to prevent all the dirt and dust coming into the water tank.

DORMITORIES USED FOR MILLITARY PURPOSES:

It is near the closed door which we just mentioned and north to the Byzantine church. This is where the soldiers stayed, a place divided by 20-30m long arches. It is being restored.

HURLING TOWER:

Within the fortress there is a 20-25m2 area surrounded by a metal fence which you climb up with 3-5 steps. Underneath this area there is an underground cell which can be seen from the top. It is said that the Romans would cage the ones sentenced to death and kept them there for three days without food or water. After three days they would be given three rocks to throw all the way into the water and if they couldn't they themselves would be thrown 200-240m into the water themselves with a slinger. Even today visitors come to see if they can manage to throw the rocks into the sea.

CHURCH:

The church within the fortress is said to be dating back to the 11th century. Inside of the dome of the church there are still drawn figures of people belonging to that date. Even though it is much frayed, it still preserves its historical identity. The shrine also adds integrity to this historical building. Many churches can be found in this region.The largest is in the upper Tophane district and next to Alaaddin Keykubat School. (It was built in 1839 by the Greeks who lived in Alanya).

RESERVOIR:

After visiting the historical Byzantium Church, you can see the large water tank which is 2-3 meters to the south of it. This is the largest of the 400-450 water reservoirs in the Alanya Fortress. It is still used today. The water reservoirs near the fortress door and the Mecvüddin reservoir near the fortress mosque are also quite large.

ALANYA LIGHTHOUSE

This lighthouse was built by the grand veziir Nevşehirli Damat Ibrahim Paşa in the joyful days of the Ottoman Empire. It is placed on the south side of the giant 6500m walls that surround the Alanya Fortress. It was built on the steepest side of the fortress. It is still used to guide the ships out on the Mediterranean.





 
 
 
   
Home Page All Categories Sitemap Alanya Guide Contact
   
 
2017 Alanya Guide
 

Sende Beğen Sende Destek Ol

x